The Altman Z Score calculator model takes five key accounting ratios for a business, weights them according to an industry type, and combines them into a single score (the Z score) to give an indication of the financial health of a business.
Generally, the lower the Z score the greater the chance of failure.
In order to make more use of the Z score, Altman established cut off points or boundaries to enable predictions to be made, using these boundaries, the business can be classified as in the safe zone, grey zone, or distress zone.
The five key accounting ratios used in the Altman Z score calculator are:
- Net current assets / Total Assets
- Retained earnings / Total Assets
- Earnings before interest and tax (EBIT) / Total assets
- Market value of equity / Total liabilities
- Sales / Total assets
The industry types fall into three categories:
- Public manufacturing business
- Private manufacturing business
- Non manufacturing business
Having calculated the ratios, each one is weighted using preset values according to its industry type and then added together to produce the Altman Z Score.
Using the Altman Z Score Calculator
The Excel Altman Z score calculator, available for download below, calculates the Z score by entering details relating to the balance sheet and income statement of the business as follows:
- The type of business is selected. Select whether the business is a public (quoted) manufacturing business, a private manufacturing business, or a non manufacturing business.
- The balance sheet items are entered. Using the balance sheet of the business, enter values for current assets, total assets, current liabilities, total liabilities, market value of equity, and retained earnings.
For a private business where the shares are not quoted, the book value of the equity can be used instead of market value.
- The income statement items are entered. Using the income statement, enter values for revenue, and earnings before interest and tax (EBIT) (enter a negative figure if this is a loss).
- The Altman Z score is calculated. The Altman Z score calculator calculates the Z score and based on that score, indicates the Z score zone the business is currently in.
Altman Z Score Calculator Download
The Altman Z score spreadsheet is available for download in Excel format by following the link below.
Users use this Altman Z score software at their own risk. We make no warranty or representation as to its accuracy and we are covered by the terms of our legal disclaimer, which you are deemed to have read. This is an example of an Edward I Altman z-score tool that you might use. It is purely illustrative. This is not intended to reflect general standards or targets for any particular company or sector. If you do spot a mistake in the Altman Z score calculator, please let us know and we will try to fix it.